Purpose of the course
The Government Safety Inspector (GSI) Personnel Licensing (PEL) Course was developed as a collaborative effort between the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), in order to provide operations, airworthiness, and personnel licensing aviation safety inspectors, on a worldwide basis, with uniform skills and knowledge to conduct specific safety oversight functions. The 15-day course, is intended for Civil Aviation Authorities (CAAs) involved in developing or upgrading their own State licensing or PEL system. The course is designed for a group composed of personnel assigned to CAA’s PEL office. Participants are taught to establish and maintain a CAA PEL office, and factors to consider when obtaining services for the PEL system from an outside service provider. Participants will be instructed on how to develop knowledge tests for a licensing system and ensure the validity of the tests. Participants will learn the licensing process from application to issuance of a license, in addition to procedures for validation of a conversion of a foreign license and suspension or revocation of a license. Classroom exercises will provide practice on how to determine if an applicant is eligible for the license sought, and if the license applicant successfully completed the demonstrations required for a license. The course is based on ICAO’s Standards and Recommended Practices (SARP’s), Model Civil Aviation Regulations (MCARs), and technical guidance.
After having successfully completed the GSI PEL, the trainees will be able to:
- Establish and maintain a CAA PEL system;
- Obtain knowledge testing services from an outside provider;
- Manage a knowledge testing system;
- Evaluate a license application for completeness and accuracy;
- Determine if an applicant is eligible for the license sought;
- Administer, grade and document the results of knowledge tests;
- Conduct flight crew license skill tests;
- Conduct maintenance technician skill tests;
- Determine the appropriate document to be issued based on the skill test results;
- Validate and convert foreign licenses; and
- Suspend or revoke a license.
This course is designed for CAA licensing office staff, such as: flight crew licensing operations inspectors, maintenance licensing inspectors, and licensing officers or administrative licensing staff.
Date January 13- 31, 2020
Cost USD$ 3,700
Coral McLaren (Mrs.)
Principal, Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority Training Institute (CAATI)