VALIDATION OF A FOREIGN LICENCE – ALL LICENCE TYPES
Proof of Jamaican Citizenship and Age:
- Birth Certificate/Baptismal Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate
Proof of Identity and Residential Address:
- Driver’s licences
- Government identification cards
In the absence of a government issued photographic identification, the applicant shall submit a passport sized photograph, certified by a Justice of the Peace to be a true photograph of the applicant.
A validation certificate may be issued based on the validity and authenticity of a foreign licence issued under the laws of an ICAO Contracting State. Schedule 8A, Subpart C of the Civil Aviation Regulations, as amended, outlines the requirements needed as well as the conditions under which approval may be granted.
Establishing Eligibility for a Validation Certificate
This certificate may be issued to an applicant who provides the following:
- A foreign licence valid and current under the laws of a Contracting State and valid for the requested privileges. This licence shall be printed in the English language or accompanied by an English language transcription that has been signed by an official or representative of the foreign aviation authority.
- A valid medical certificate. (Not applicable to Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (AME) and Flight Dispatchers)
- Photographic proof of identity issued by a governmental body, including residential address.
- Is able to read, speak, write and understand the English Language.
- A letter requesting issue of the Foreign Licence Validation Certificate and specifying the purpose for which the foreign licence is to be validated.
- A letter from the Jamaican owner/operator of the aircraft to be flown that the applicant has been fully briefed on the Jamaican Air Law, procedures, airspace restrictions or local practices of which the applicant should be aware that may differ from the ICAO Annexes.
- The Foreign Licence Validation Certificate shall be issued for a period of up to 90 days, unless the applicant specifically requests a longer period due to operational requirements, in which case the validity period shall not extend beyond one year, or the validity period of the foreign licence, whichever comes first.
In addition to the eligibility requirements for a Validation Certificate, the applicant must be sponsored by a Jamaican business or government entity and, if required for the specific tasks or period of time, hold a work visa issued by Immigration.
Purposes for which Foreign Licence Validation Certificates may be issued, are as follows:
- A flight test.
- Private recreational flying.
- Ferry of a Jamaican aircraft to or from a foreign country.
- Authorization of a foreign licensed holder to give flight training to a Jamaican flight crew on a Jamaican aircraft.
- Authorization of a foreign licensed holder to act as a flight crew member of a foreign registered aircraft operated by a Jamaican air operator.
- Authorization to fly as a crew member while under training in a Jamaican aircraft.
- Operation of Jamaican aircraft in urgent circumstances such as fire suppression operations, emergency agricultural and forestry aerial application, airlift in relief of domestic natural disasters and search and rescue operations. Such validations require the approval of the Director General Civil Aviation.
The Authority shall specify in a foreign licence validation certificate, the privileges that may be exercised by the holder of the certificate.