Applicable to aeroplane and rotorcraft
Proof of Jamaican Citizenship and Age:
- Birth Certificate/Baptismal Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate
Proof of Identity and Residential Address:
- Driver’s Licences
- Government Identification Cards
In the absence of a government issued photographic identification, the applicant shall submit a passport sized photograph, certified by a Justice of the Peace to be a true photograph of the applicant.
Types of Instructor Ratings and Authorisation (Schedule 8A, Section 8.305)
Class 1 and Class 2 Flight Instructors
To be eligible for a Class 2 Flight Instructor Rating, an applicant shall:-
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to read, speak, write and understand the English Language
- Hold either a Commercial Pilot Licence or Airline Transport Pilot Licence with an aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the Flight Instructor rating sought.
- Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorised Class 1 Flight Instructor, indicating that the applicant has received a minimum of 40 hours of instructions on the fundamentals of instructing prescribed by the Authority.
- Pass with a minimum of 70% on the knowledge test.
- Received a logbook endorsement from an authorised Class 1 Flight Instructor that the applicant has received a minimum of 25 hours dual instructions, prescribed by the Authority appropriate to the Flight Instructor Rating sought.
- Pass the required practical test.
Log at least 15 hours as PIC in the category and class of aircraft that is appropriate to the Flight Instructor Rating sought.
To be eligible for Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating an applicant shall-
- Hold a Class 2 Flight Instructor Rating in the aircraft category sought.
- Pass with a minimum of 80% on the knowledge test.
- Have conducted a minimum of 400 hours of dual flight instruction towards the granting of a private pilot licence in the appropriate aircraft category.
- Have recommended a minimum of 10 students for the private pilot licence flight test and have had a minimum of 8 students successfully pass the flight test on their first attempt.
- Pass the required practical test that is appropriate to the Flight Instructor rating sought in an aircraft that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the aircraft rating sought and is certified and capable of performing all of the required manoeuvres as set out in the appropriate flight test guide.
Credits for Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) Applicants (Jamaican Citizens)
- Active or retired JDF personnel who hold or have held within the preceding 24 calendar months, a JDF Instructor Category on the same aircraft category as the one sought, shall be deemed to have met the written examination requirement.
- Active or retired JDF personnel who hold or have held within the preceding 24 calendar months, a JDF Instructor Category on a different aircraft category than the one sought, shall be deemed to have met 20 hours of the 40 hours ground school instruction requirement.
Active or retired JDF personnel who hold or have held within the preceding 24 calendar months, a JDF Instructor Category for initial flight training, shall be deemed to have met the required 25 hours of dual flight instruction. If the flight instructor category was endorsed for extra privileges, the experience requirements for those extra privileges shall be deemed to have been met.
Renewal of an Instructor Rating or Authorisation (Schedule 8A, Section 8.335)
A Class 2 Flight instructor Rating that has expired may be renewed for an additional 12 calendar months or a Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating that has not expired may be renewed for an additional 24 calendar months if the holder-
- Passes a practical test for-
- renewal of Flight Instructor Rating; or
- an additional Flight Instructor Rating or
- Present to the Authority a graduating certificate showing that the pilot has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or both, within the 90 days preceding the expiration month of his or her Flight Instructor rating.
If the holder of either Flight Instructor Rating accomplishes the renewal requirements within 30 days preceding the expiration month of his or her Flight Instructor Rating, the Authority shall consider that the person accomplishes the renewal requirements in the month due.